Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Review of Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ Reflector Telescope


Good beginner scope

By PapaTripleJ from Auburn, CA on 12/2/2008

 

4out of 5

Pros: Comfortable Eyepiece, Accurate

Cons: Unstable

Best Uses: Astronomy

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

This scope is exactly what I expected for the money. A good beginner scope. I haven't used any other telescopes, so I have nothing to really compare with, but this does what I wanted. I've had it for about a month and spent several hours with it. I mentioned it was unstable, which is referring to the fact that the scope has slight jiggles. Not so bad at low power, but noticeable at higher power. It isn't like the whole telescope is unstable or going to tip, just that with an inexpensive telescope, I hear the manufacturer often skimps on the tripod. I'm planning to get some more powerful eyepieces to see the planets, so I am a bit concerned about the jiggling. Even when I am not touching the unit, just peering through the eyepiece, it still jiggles.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoy this scope. It's my first, and I doubt it will be my last. I'm getting some new eyepieces, filters, and more so I can expand my use of it. I would recommend this to anyone getting into astronomy.

Here is a photo I took the first night I got it.

Full moon on first night with scope.

thumbnail

Tags: Made with Product

(legalese)