Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

We had a great time on Thanksgiving yesterday. See below for more details of what we did on Thanksgiving





The day started out pretty normal - Sarah, the twins, and I hung out at the house in the early morning. I went over to Marie's to help setup for about an hour. We had the carpets cleaned a few days before and I vacuumed in the morning, so the place looked great! When I got home, Sherri arrived to help peel persimmons. We've been drying loads of them the past week or so. After Sherri left, we started making our mashed potatoes. I kind of goofed a little because I put the boiled potatoes in the mixer and added the milk and other things before I mashed the potatoes. So we had a few little lumps in our final product. :) But they tasted fine - a little heavy. I need to find a way to make them lighter and fluffier.

We finished the potatoes in plenty of time to get over to Aunt Marie's (she's 101 this year). I think there were 10 or 12 people at Marie's. We had some nice appetizers before I helped carve the turkey while Sarah, Sherri, and some of Marie's friends helped watch the girls. After dinner, there was chocolate cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie with apple butter topping, and ice cream. I know that my favorite parts of the whole meal were, in this order:
1) Sweet Potato Casserole
2) Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
3) Turkey
4) Stuffing

Those were my favorites, even over dessert, that's how good the food was. There were lots of other things to enjoy, and we all had a great time.